Are you serious about learning photography basics and beyond? Is photography something you’re passionate about? Then these classes are for you!
Digital Photography for Beginners: Hands-On Field Trip Class
NOT just for DSLR cameras… For all cameras with the following settings:
- White Balance,
- Aperture Priority, and
- Shutter Priority (if you don’t know for sure, the camera manual will have the information).
If your knowledge is beyond this, this Beginner Class might be too basic for you. Our classes are generally NOT for simple point-and-shoot cameras. If your camera has Manual, Shutter Speeds, and Aperture adjustments, you’ll be fine!
A Six Hour Class! Not Two, Not Three… Six! Four hours of classroom and then, shoot till you’re bored!
Join us for a full day of photography instruction! We rent private event space to provide a quiet and peaceful setting for you to learn in. We’ll have theatre style seating and provide you with a workbook so you won’t even need to take that many notes!
Having worked with thousands of students, we know you just can’t CAN’T teach the important aspects of camera operation in just a couple of hours.
This class is geared for those with DSLRs or cameras with advanced features beyond the scope of the traditional point-and-shoots. This class is not recommended for point-and-shoot cameras. If you camera has adjustable shutter speed, aperture, ISO, and white balance, you will be fine.
Our presentation includes tons of photographs and how they were made… and how you too can do it!
We cover the classroom material in a relaxing, fun presentation. The class is even geared to allow students to help each other as we divide the seating into Canon, Nikon, and others. The hands-on classes are small, usually around 20 or fewer students.
We want you to jump-start your photography! After the class and during breaks the instructors stay to answer questions and help you with your camera.
Here’s a sampling of the topics we’ll cover:
- The Basics
- The Meter
- White Balance
- Auto Modes
- Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, and Manual
- Exposure Compensation
- What are all those settings and buttons?
- What your camera can and can’t do
- Introduction to composition
- Eliminating blur… whether motion or focus -related
- And for those who have interchangeable lenses, which lens to use
- Shooting great portraits
- Why you never get the moon right in photos
- Shooting concerts, recitals, and ball games
- Follow-up phone and email help!
The Hands-On/Field Trip class includes work within the classroom and later outdoors (weather permitting) which allows one-on-one work with the instructor and a chance to shoot and learn. At this point it’s up to you to shoot on your own, with others and the instructor, or even corner the instructor for a bit.
(Dates and venues may be subject to change) Any existing coupons from last year for these cities may be extended if you call first.
Please be aware, any class with less than 12 participants may be moved to another date due to venue rental fees.
REMEMBER: All classes have ABOUT four hours of classroom presentation FOLLOWED by HANDS-ON. Plan accordingly. We never leave early. It is up to you to learn as much as you would like to.
CHARLOTTE NC (If you purchased a coupon, register for ANY class you’d like!)
- CHARLOTTE NC ~ March 17, 2013 ~ Sunday 12:30-6pm US Whitewater Center, near Charlotte NC. Hands-on class. Limit 30 (two seats left!)
- CHARLOTTE NC ~ March 30, 2013 ~ Saturday 11:00-5pm US Whitewater Center, near Charlotte NC. Hands-on class. Limit 30 (lot’s of room left!)
- CHARLOTTE NC ~ April 27, 2013 ~ Saturday 11:00-5pm US Whitewater Center, near Charlotte NC. Hands-on class. Limit 30 (25 seats left!)
- We will have a Fall date or two at the UNCC Botanical Gardens/Greenhouse also.
The Greenhouse at the UNCC Botanical Gardens. This might be found on maps or GPS as 9090 Michael Ray Craver Rd or as 9090 Craver Rd. Please write down both of these and try them to see which works best for you.
The US National Whitewater Center, 5000 Whitewater Center Parkway, Charlotte. Off I-85 Take exit 29 for Sam Wilson Road and follow signs for USNWC. Or… enter it into your GPS.
GREENVILLE SC (Registration opens soon for our Zoo Safari class 2013)
- GREENVILLE SC ~ March 2nd, 2013 ~ Saturday 11:00-5pm Coffee Underground and the Greenville Zoo. Details soon! Hands-on class. A telephoto lens is a plus. Limit 20. Registration opens soon.
- GREENVILLE SC ~ March 9, 2013 ~ Saturday 12:30-6pm (NOTE: Not a Zoo class) Coffee Underground and Falls Park. Hands-on class. Limit 20
- GREENVILLE SC ~ March 23rd, 2013 ~ Saturday 11:00-5pm Coffee Underground and the Greenville Zoo. Details soon! Hands-on class. A telephoto lens is a plus. Limit 20. Registration opens soon.
- GREENVILLE SC ~ April 7, 2013 ~ Sunday 11:00-5pm Coffee Underground and the Greenville Zoo. Details soon! Hands-on class. A telephoto lens is a plus. Limit 20. Registration opens soon.
- GREENVILLE SC ~ May 4, 2013 ~ Saturday 11:00-5pm Coffee Underground and the Greenville Zoo. Details soon! Hands-on class. A telephoto lens is a plus. Limit 20. Registration opens soon.
ATLANTA ~Dates to be determined
PHOTOSHOP ~ Time, date, and location to be determined. Sign up here to be on the list for a class near you.
Don’t delay! Register today! * Classes may be added or combined depending upon interest or enrollment.
This class is taught by Gene Taylor, a Certified Professional Photographer and member of the Professional Photographers of America. His love of photography and many years of experience make this class a fun, unique experience!
With more than 30 years of experience as an award-winning photographer, Gene Taylor brings passion for visual storytelling to every photography class. He has been trained by some of the leading photographers in America. Gene is a former photojournalist who currently teaches photography at a community college. His professional affiliations include the Professional Photographers of America and the National Association of Photoshop Professionals.
What to Bring
Bring your camera and the manual. It is impossible for the instructor to know the operation of every camera made. If possible, know how to change your camera’s ISO, shutter speed, and aperture. If you can’t figure it out, we’ll help. Come with a charged up battery and an empty memory card. It is not recommended to bring a point and shoot type camera.
Child care is not provided and it is not recommended to bring children.
Greenville, Asheville, Columbia price is $200 for the lecture-only course or for the lecture/hands-on class. Atlanta and Charlotte classes are $210. Fee includes handout material.
Admission to Botanical Garden or US Whitewater Center is included with those locations.
Parking, if applicable, not included.
How Do I Sign Up?
Ready to get started? Let us know by filling out our class registration form. to let us know you are coming. Or if you have additional questions or you’d like to talk to the instructor directly you can contact him at 864.386.8284.
What other students are saying…
“Gene is witty and portrays the information in a detailed, fun manner. I really enjoyed the class.”
“I’ve had my camera for over two years and I finally learned how to use it today.”
“Loved the class! Very informative and enjoyed the instructor…very down to earth and relaxed session.”
“Excellent coverage of the technical aspects of taking photos. A must for anyone that wants to understand what all those “buttons” do. Gene does a great job.”
Great class for beginners. Excellent teachers- Gene and Megan
*** We reserve the right to cancel or combine scheduled class dates based on registration numbers. If you have already registered for a class that will be combined or canceled we will contact you immediately to reschedule a new class date for you to attend.